Parking & Building Changes at First Baptist in Effect July 2
In preparation for the construction work to begin on July 2 at our building, we have learned from Frank L. Blum (our construction contractors) that the entirety of our back parking lot will be closed off for the duration of asbestos abatement and demolition of Buildings B & C. This is to create the space necessary to house all the construction equipment needed for this work and to ensure the safety of all folks entering and exiting the building.
We learned this week from our contractors that the total length of time for abatement and demolition will last around 10 weeks. Parking in the back lot throughout Phase One will be limited, but only during abatement and demolition will it be entirely off-limits. This will also impact our entry points into Building A, and we will give you that information as soon as we know it.
Thus, starting Monday, July 2, and continuing until further notice, when you come to the church house for worship on Sundays or should you visit during the week, parking for the congregation is available in the following locations on or around our block:
- The parking lot of the John 3:16 building at the corner of 6th and Poplar (anytime)
- The Winston-Salem Journal parking lot and adjacent gravel lot at the corner of 5th and Spruce (Sundays)
- Street parking at meters on 5th Street and Spruce Streets (anytime)
- Street parking on Poplar Street (Sundays)
Within a block or two of the church are several parking garages and other surface lot options should you need them.
Thank you for your patience and flexibility in this impending season of transition!
This week around the church house…
- Thanks to the tremendous work of Sally Barbour, our church accountant, some fifty years worth of church records that had been kept but were no longer needed have been cleaned out and shredded!
- Another team of volunteers (led tirelessly by our summer ministerial intern, Stephanie Manasa) relocated the children’s ministry classrooms this week! Starting this Sunday, June 24, the nursery for infants, toddlers, and 2s will be located in room XXX, on the ground floor of Building A just off the breezeway on the Poplar Street side. Starting July 8, all remaining children (3s through 5th grade) will be located in the former youth loft on the 3rd floor. Starting this fall, the youth group will gather in the Baraca Room.
- Members of the church staff and a team of volunteers completed a final walkthrough of the buildings in advance of Saturday’s auction.